Auke Visser's Other Esso Related Tankers Site | home
Mojave - (1911-1926)
Unfortunaly no picture available, anyone ?????
Mojave, ex Hambro 1926
LOA 453 ', Beam 56 ', Depth 36 ' 6 "
10,725 DWT, 76,281 bbls
Triple expansion engine 48 " stroke 10.6 knots
Commissioned 6 June 1921, at Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation, Alameda, California, and named Hambro by her original owners.
Purchased by General Petroleum Company in 1923 and acquired by Socony in 1926.
Mojave was named after the most populous and warlike of the Yuman tribes. The Mojaves lived on both sides of Rio Colorado,
though chiefly on the east side by the Needles, from which the name, meaning "three mountains", is derived.
The Mojaves were famed for the artistry of their war paint.
The ship was brought to the US east coast for a brief spell after her acquisition, but was returned to General Petroleum Company in
January 1927. She served on the west coast until after Pearl Harbor, when she was first requisitioned by WSA for war service, and
later, in February 1944, accepted in full as part of a barter of four obsolete ships for two new.
The Miramar Ship Index for "HAMBRO"
Scrapped at Oakland 4th. quarter 1947.
Additional information Starke & Schell registers :
HAMBRO - USA, 1T (aft), (11)
6,900 grt for U.S. Shipping Board, San Francisco, 1047, 435.0 x 56.2
Tanker built by Bethlehem SB. Corp., Alameda, Calif., (5) #5272, 221302
1923 - MOJAVE, General Petroleum Corp., San Francisco
1926 - Standard Transportation Co., Inc., New York
1931 - Standard-Vacuum Transportation Co., Inc., New York
1935 - Socony-Vacuum Oil Co., Inc., New York
1944 - U. S. War Shipping Administration, New York
Broken up at Oakland, Calif., 4th quarter 1947 by Kaiser Co., Inc.