Auke Visser's Other Esso Related Tankers Site | home
Sarnolite - (1916-1947)
SARNOLITE operated on and off of the Great Lakes.
( Photo Earl D. Simzer Collection & courtesy George Ayoub )
The third consecutive sister ship tanker for Imperial Oil was christened SARNOLITE. She was launched September 27, 1916.
Like the others, this vessel was 258 feet (78.6 metres) long and could carry just over 20,000 barrels of petroleum products.
There were various duties assigned to SARNOLITE. In the early years she operated on the Gulf of Mexico to Halifax, Nova Scotia,
with stops included at Tampico, Mexico, and Cuba. She also sailed between Saint John, N.B., and New York, N.Y., and even Halifax
to France late in World War One. During the twenties and thirties, SARNOLITE was used as the fleet training ship.
SARNOLITE was in and out of the Great Lakes. She was often ordered to carry bunker oil and became known as "the dirty ship"
because of the nature of these cargoes.
Imperial renamed her IMPERIAL SARNIA in 1947 and IMPERIAL HAMILTON in 1948 when a new, and larger, IMPERIAL SARNIA was built.
The vessel received a new pilothouse at Port Dalhousie during the winter of 1951-52. This structure outlived the vessel and later
served as the Pilothouse Museum at Corunna, Ontario.
On September 4, 1961, IMPERIAL HAMILTON caught fire at Sarnia and was badly damaged. She was retired, sold, converted to a
barge and eventually used as a breakwater. In 1970 her remains were cut up for scrap.
(47) (b) IMPERIAL SARNIA (I)
(48), (c) IMPERIAL HAMILTON (134515).
Built 1916 Collingwood Shipbuilding Co. Ltd. 250 x 43.1 x 16.6. Gross 2060, net 1549.
Damaged by fire at Sarnia, Sept 4,1961. Retired 1962.
Converted to barge at Sarnia and lay idle at Windsor. Taken to Kewaunee, Wis., 1967,
for use as breakwater.
l) Imperial Oil (1916- 62)
2) Earl's Welding Service, Sarnia (1962-67).
The Miramar Ship Index for "SARNOLITE"
1947 IMPERIAL SARNIA - 1948 IMPERIAL HAMILTON
Made into a barge 1962 & eventually scrapped in 1970.
Additional information :