Auke Visser´s Esso UK Tanker's site | home
Daylight - (1912-1916)
See also : Daylight - (1902-1912)
No photo available, anyone ??
The Miramar Ship Index for "DAYLIGHT"
[ Part tanker 1914-24 ] - [ 1924 barge ] - [ 1941 barquentine, aux 2D. ] -
BU Rio de Janeiro 10.53, work began 8.54 [ By Ilha da Conceicao Estado ]
Additional Information from the Starke & Schell Ships-registers ;
DAYLIGHT (4-mast bark), BR
3,756 GRT for Anglo-American Oil Co., Ltd., London, 351.5 x 49.1
Cargo built by Russell & Co., Port Glasgow, (1), #490, 114812
1912 - Tank Storage & Carriage Co., Ltd., London
1914 - refitted - conv. to partial tanker
1916 - Standard Transportation Co., Ltd., Hong Kong
1921 - Charles Nelson Company, San Francisco, US
1924 - Daylight Ship Co., Ltd. (James Griffiths & Sons), Victoria, B.C - reduced to barge, CA
1941 - Anglo-Canadian Shipping Co., Ltd., Vancouver - re-rigged as barkentine, fitted with aux. eng. 2M
44 - TANGARA Murray, Simonsen & Co., Ltd., Rio de Janeiro, BZ
Broken up at Rio de Janeiro 1954 by Ilha da Conceição Estado,
sold 10/1953, work began -8/1954
On dissolution of the Standard Oil Company in 1911 the "Daylight" was sold in 1912 to the Tank Storage and Carriage
Company Ltd. Three years later "Daylight" and other ships of that fleet were transferred to the Standard Transportation
Company of Hong Kong, a subsidiary of time Standard Oil Company of New York. She continued in the kerosene trade
from San Francisco to the Orient until she made her last round voyage to Manila in October, 1920, with 150,235 cases,
arriving back at San Francisco in June, 1921, with 1,428 tons of copra. This was her last voyage as a four-masted barque.
Tine "Daylight" was solt to Charles Nelson and Company, of San Francisco, in the summer of 1921 for the timber trade,
but her deep tanks made long timber difficult to stow and she lay in Oakland Creek until May, 1924, when she was sold
to James Griffiths and Sons of Long Beach, California, who quickly stripped her to her lower masts to become a barge
for the movement of gvpsum rock from San Marco on the Gulf of California to Long Beach.
Around 1934 the "Daylight" was laid up at Winslow, Washington, and remained there until 1942-43, when she was acquired
by Murray, Simonsen and Company Limited, of Rio de Janeiro, and renamed "Tangara" (3,811 gt). A twenty-year-old engine
was installed to work twin screws and a squat funnel was placed aft. Officially, she was of barquentine rig. The "Tangara"
continued to carry 2,000-toni oil cargoes in her deep tanks under the Brazilian flag until 1953 when she was broken up.
When barque-rigged the "Daylight's" bowsprit was 61 feet. bore, main and mizzen masts were 173 feet deck to trunck;
jigger 153 feet. Her course yards were 100 feet between the plugs; royals 52 leer and her spanker boom 56 feet.
Topgallant masts and royal yards were of Oregon pine.
A four-masted steel barque built in 1902 by Russell & Co., Port Glasgow, at a cost of $ 270.000 (approx. £ 54.000).
Dimensions 107,10×14,95×8,58 meters [351'5"×49'1"×28'2"] and tonnage 3756 GRT, 3599 NRT and 3651 tons under deck.
Rigged with with royal sails above double top and topgallant sails.
Together with her near sister-ship Brilliant the largest four-masted barques ever built.
She had two decks and was equipped with a donkey engine and two steam winches.
Launched at the shipyard of Russell & Co., Port Glasgow, for Anglo-American Oil Co., London.
Assigned the official British Reg. No. 114182. Captain J. Reade was given command of the new ship.
Captain H. Nickerson, Nova Scota.
Was scuttled and sunk in the harbour of Yokkaichi, Japan, to extinguish a fire onboard.
Sailed from Kobe to New York in 119 days. She was 10° north of the Equator 84 days out from Kobe.
Captain John McBryde late of the same owner's four-masted barque Eclipse replaced Captain Nickerson who left to
take command of the William P. Frye.
Sailed from New York with a cargo of 35.000 cases of kerosene oil for Melbourne where she arrived after 79 days.
Sailed from Vizagapatam to Philadelphia in 145 days [with a cargo of manganese ore?].
Sailed from Hong Kong with a cargo of tea and maté to Cape Henry in 109 days.
Sailed from New York to Anjer in 86 days.
Rebuild in New York to carry oil in bulk in the main tank.
1910 December 24
Sailed from New York to Bombay in 130 days.
Sailed from New York to Bombay.
1911 June 24
Sailed from Bombay to Diamond Shoals in 115 days.
Sailed from Hong Kong to the Five Fathom Bank Lightship, Delaware Capes, in 87 days.
Sold to Tank Storage & Carriage Co., London. Captain C. Anderson.
Sold to Standard Transportation Co., Hong Kong. Captain H.A Smith.
Sailed from San Francisco to Manila with 150.235 cases of kerosene.
Arrived to San Francisco from Manila with 1428 tons of copra.
Sold to Charles Nelson & Co., San Francisco, for $ 22.500. To be used in the timber trade, but her deep tanks made her
less suitable for loading long timber and she was laid up in Oakland Creek, San Francisco Bay.
Sold to the Daylight Ship Co. Ltd. (James Griffiths & Sons), Seattle. Rigged down to her lower masts and used as barge
to carry gypsum from the Santa Marcos Island to Long Beach, CA.
Captain W. Stone.
Laid up in Winslow, WA.
Sold to Murray Simonsen, Brazil,
Rerigged as an aux. four-masted barquentine and given the name Tangara.
Equipped with a pair of 400 hp Skandia diesel engines.